Community Watch Along: Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

Current and Classic Animation!

What Should We Watch For The Magic Watch Along?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina / 12 episodes / Funimation, Wakanim, Hulu, & Animelab
50%
The Ancient Magus' Bride / 24 episodes / Crunchyroll
25%
Witch Hunter Robin / 26 episodes / Funimation
25%

Total votes: 4

Eira
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina

Postby Eira » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:12 pm

Episode 11:
BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I just checked to make sure, and yup, it was ep 9 that skipped the opening theme, too.

Spoiler:
Yer, I only brought it up cause I thought it didn't really need to skip out on it this time, while in episode 9 it made a lot more sense.

Episode 12: 'The Everyday Tale of Every Ashen Witch'
Doing this a bit early as it's my birthday today and so I won't have time to do it later in the day when I'm celebrating with my family (lockdown birthday for the second time)
Spoiler:
Time to enter the Elaina-verse, if you thought time travel made things messy, it's time for alternate versions of Elaina from across the multiverse to meet. The escalation this series went through in just 12 episodes is pretty insane, they really have no issue going right into the crazy ideas.

Elaina with Glasses is a cutie, I like to think Elaina agrees and that's why she asked her how much they cost. I also really like the Moody Elaina, just cause the generic japanese punk girl is just something I tend to enjoy. And Chunibyo Elaina is also great cause I love Chuni's. And an entire three Elainas with deep darkness' in their heart. I guess they're the ones that didn't have the mental to deal with those darker moments.

I talked last episode about how Elaina's Seiyuu (Kaede Hondo) did a great job of capturing Saya correctly. And once again she's able to flex her skills and show off a variety of voices and personalities with all these different Elaina's and as always she does it really well. It's her voice so they all still feel like Elaina while capturing the different personality and vibe of each of them, it's a good showcase of her talent.

Violent Elaina talks about seeing love turn to anger, which is meant to be about episode 9, the way Estelle went from loving her best friend to hating her and wanting to kill her. And it seems like she didn't quite take it as well as Protagonist Elaina did, although having also lost her hair to the ripper also couldn't of helped. Interestingly Elaina says she has never seen that, although later ends up telling Violent Elaina about how she also went back in time and went through that same thing.

Weirdly in the light novel she didn't actually do that. In the light novel first of all the time travel happens before the ripper episode, which is important because in the light novel Protagonist Elaina doesn't go back in time and instead it was only Violent Elaina who did it. Now even though things didn't go according to plan they still made changes by killing the girl much earlier so she wouldn't of gone on to kill her uncle and others. So they still made an alternate timeline and Protagonist Elaina is from that alternate timeline they made and thus never met Estelle or went back in time with her.

Doesn't matter much cause the anime has established it's own canon were both of them did it, but it's an interesting change and I'd like to know why they decided to do it. I don't know which version of it I prefer but I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. And so then the Elaina that had to deal with than then went on to not be able to get her hair back and you can see how she'd fall into despair and lash out on happy alternatives to herself. And so the line at the end about telling the other of their time travels is actually Violent Elaina telling Protagonist Elaina. Again, not the case for the anime, since they make it clear Protagonist Elaina did do it, but it's a interesting change to know about.

The light novel also establishes that a 'Devil Elaina' and some deamons make the country that grants wishes to get all these alternate Elainas together, which I think is kind of interesting, and could still be the case in the anime, they just don't show it.

The cat Elaina that randomly shows up at the end is pretty obvious, but during the panning shots of them all reading you can also see a plant Elaina, that might be her if she got taken over by the flowers, I guess she comes from a world where they actually work on witches or something. Or everyone is just a plant person in that world, which means even more of these Elainas keep showing up!

And then at the end we get a teaser for a possible second season with some girl switching books with Elaina and her remarking in narration that the two will travel together in the future, although no second season has been confirmed yet. Hopefully it'll get one cause I really freaking love this show and it holds up on a second viewing, made me love it even more as I was able to notice and pick up on a bunch of little extra things.

Look at how consistent I was, gao. I haven't been this consistent since... Danganronpa maybe. Can't remember how many I missed if any, I know I only missed 1 for Cowboy Bebop so that was pretty good for me too. Not sure if I've gotten a perfect before but I did this time.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat based discussions: Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:15 am

Episode 12
Spoiler:
This felt like an OVA episode through and through. Which makes sense because ep 11 ended what was the biggest 'story arc' episode this series had, if we can call it that.

Eira wrote:And Chunibyo Elaina is also great cause I love Chuni's.
That one cracked me up, I had to chuckle when I saw her :D. I do think that the whole ensemble of Elaina types was pretty amazing. The creators really went no-holds-barred here. While most of the different versions are reasonably generic, the gelatinous one stood out to me as a blatant Steins;Gate reference. Especially when viewed in the context of a multiverse gathering.

Eira wrote:And once again she's able to flex her skills and show off a variety of voices and personalities with all these different Elaina's and as always she does it really well.
I was going to mention the same thing about the English VA, although - shame on me - I couldn't place a name with the voice (after looking it up, it's Amber Lee Connors). Props on the range required to voice 17 different variations of the same character.

Eira wrote:Interestingly Elaina says she has never seen that, although later ends up telling Violent Elaina about how she also went back in time and went through that same thing.
Indeed, I immediately thought of Elaina's trip to the past when the violent one posed this question. I was very confused about why she didn't admit it in the first place.

Eira wrote:during the panning shots of them all reading you can also see a plant Elaina
I only noticed that one at the very end, and it felt quite random. But I still appreciate the reference to episode 3.

The "me" talk that protagonist and violent Elaina shared was rather funny (and witty at some points). Thinking about it, this whole thing makes for a fitting dream for Elaina, given how she's typically very focused on herself ;).

I guess in the end, we never did see her return to visit her parents. The curse of short anime adaptations.

I really didn't get the line Elaina said about amnesia at the end (except that it fits with the inscription on her book: "Make sure to read this first thing in the morning." But why she would have a memory defect, I have no idea... Perhaps she used her memories to fuel a spell like Mirarose did?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

dflynsqrl
I Like Anime

Postby dflynsqrl » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:51 am

Work got a bit hectic and I got a bit behind...

Episode 6:
Spoiler:
This was a fun episode and we get Saya back involved. Not being able to lie she has no hope of trying to hide her feelings from Elaina. So that certainly added for some funny moments. Eira & BlueSpark already mentioned the "Sire" vs "Saya" moment, which did give me a chuckle.

The King's attempted to git rid of all liers by using the magic, was a bit immature and we could certainly see the results. The witch going way overboard to help him achieve that certainly shows that even witches are influenced by emotion as much as normal folks.

Episode 7:
Spoiler:
This episode certainly solidified Nike as Elaina's mom after the discussion with the two old men.
Although it was a bit harsh telling Elaina she's more flat-chested in comparison!

Wow! Elaina is a prolific grape stomper!! That was some work, or so I thought. Once the grape war started we get to see Elaina take it to a whole new level. Fun ending to this story.